Analytic Martial Arts

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Are The Stick Figure Diagrams Useful?

I wanted to get the world's thoughts on the stick-figure-ish diagrams I put together for the Rank 1 Blocks post. Way back in my original post on notation I discussed the limitations of photographs in this context, but didn't stop to consider whether those limitations applied to illustrations in general. Here are my observations in that regard after putting together the blocking diagrams:

  • Compactness: The 3D diagrams are only marginally more compact than photographs; I wouldn't want to use them to illustrate anything other that atomic actions.
  • Required equipment: I created them using my laptop (sunk cost) and Blender (free) whereas a camera rig to shoot from four directions simultaneously would be super pricey. In exchange you give up photorealism and geometric accuracy; the former it totally unnecessary, IMHO, for pedagogical purposes while the latter is mostly a function of my limited artistic abilities. I should also have added "a willing model" to the list of equipment required for photos, something which is not required for rendered drawings.
  • Depiction of transitions: The stick figure diagrams allow me to convey motion more accurately by overlaying pre- and post-action poses in a single frame. While this is technically possible with photos the barriers to doing so are insurmountable for a non-professional.

In general I found it nigh impossible to describe blocking techniques using English only; the addition of the diagrams helps eliminate the ambiguities which crop up in the written word. I also like the ability to annotate the diagrams with motion/momentum arrows. Again, this is technically possible with photos, but much more difficult.

So, thoughts? Should I gin up some more diagrams for punches/kicks?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah.

Another advantage of diagrams is if they are not clear, you can do them again much easier than setting up a photo shoot again.